If you ever find yourself starting a sentence with phrases like, ‘I’m afraid or I’m scared’, keep reading my friend because I have something special for you that you’ll definitely want to know more about.
It’s been my personal experience, as well as the experiences of so many coaches that I’ve worked with, that building a coaching business will take you outside your comfort zone into areas that feel scary and overwhelming.
When you are experiencing those feelings you have two options…
> Let it control you and lead you to analysis paralysis
> You acknowledge it and realize that it is just a coping mechanism that your brain has put in place to keep you safe, (when in fact there is absolutely NOTHING to be scared of)
That’s why we want to blow the lid right off this boiling pot this week on the The Wellness Business Podcast so we can help you reframe your fear into positive action.
5 WAYS TO OVERCOME FEAR AND LIMITING BELIEFS
Oftentimes when we’re working with our clients we find that when challenged the coach has no evidence that what they believe is true. The limiting belief is only in their head and there is no proof to substantiate their assumption.
There are lots of decisions to be made when you’re building a business and if you get stuck on any one of them for too long you are postponing your success and the ability to change the lives of your clients.
Let’s go over 5 ways to overcome fear and limiting beliefs:
1) The first and most important step you need to take is to identify your fear and why you are afraid of it coming true. Limiting beliefs are often rooted in fear of failure, however, there is no proof that if you choose one thing over the other it will guarantee failure.
2) The next step is to take responsibility for your decision. Even when you are avoiding making a choice you are actually making a decision. A lack of decision is still action and while it may feel like you are being passive and not responsible for the outcome you are actually creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of not moving forward and delaying your success. Choosing to make a decision and own the responsibility no matter how it turns out is a skill you should build as a business owner.
3) The next step is to release the need for certainty before you can make a decision. Why is overcoming limiting beliefs so difficult? The answer is that we all crave certainty. Wouldn’t it be nice if building your wellness business came with an instruction manual that guaranteed you wouldn’t fail? That would be sweet, wouldn’t it? But that’s not how it works. There is never a right decision. It’s always just your ‘next best’ decision based on the information you currently have. Then as you get more information you can make new and better decisions.
4) The next step is to change the way you talk to yourself. Your limiting beliefs can sometimes occur deep in your subconscious, but more often than not, it is negative self-talk that’s telling you why you can’t, don’t want to, or must not do something. That is just your brain trying to keep you in your comfort zone. To build a successful business you will need to get out of your comfort zone.
5) The final step is to upgrade your “Ride or Die” group. Entrepreneurship is a challenge. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it so that means the non-entrepreneurs far outweigh the entrepreneurs by a significant number. If you find yourself sharing your dreams and business goals with friends and family that fall into the ‘negative Nancy’ crowd you may need to update the crowd you spend time with. I have people that are business supporters, (like my podcast co-host, Kathleen LeGrys), and then I have my friends and family that don’t know anything about my business and I’m okay with that. Surround yourself with people that will lift you up in your business, not bring you down.
IS THE FEAR OF FAILURE HOLDING YOU BACK?
In episode 271 of The Wellness Business Podcast, you’ll discover:
- 5 ways to overcome fear and limiting beliefs so you will never become stuck in your business
- The top fear-based categories that you can fall into that leave you feeling unsure of what is the next best decision to make
- A single mindset shift that will have you instantly reframing your beliefs around your purpose and skills when it comes to serving your clients
Tune in this week to find out how to overcome your fear of making a wrong decision and the limiting beliefs that are keeping you from building a business that you love.
Links/Resources mentioned on the show:
The Ultimate Health Coach Success Path Blueprint
Links to resources: